Thursday 6 November 2014

Surprise box

Hi,
Today I'll be sharing a different project which I haven't attempted before.  It's a surprise box :)

I always love recycling & get  scolded often by mom for accumulating all the "junk" in home :D I have few other simple recycling projects to share but just too lazy to write. may do it later :P

The inspiration for this one came from a sturdy cardboard which I got from a bedcover packaging.
I also love to make embellishments on my own & to play with modelling clay, which I have employed here too :)
With that long story short, here come the pics :)

image

image

image

image



if you are interested in the making just read on & I guess it's quite a lengthy post.
(I tend to forget the techniques used & all the bloopers I did.. recording all that definitely helps in the futuristic point of view)

I'll begin from inside outwards.
The Cake:
I just googled some instructions on making topsy turvy cake. (it was random surfing & I didn't bookmark the sites)
I used Mont marte air drying modelling clay to make the cake (now that rhymes!!) & this is how it turned out to be.

image

some points to remember while using air drying clay:
●always have a wet baby wipe closeby
●moisten & clean your fingers often to avoid mess as well as to keep the clay wet
●take only least quantity of clay to work & use cling wrap to store the rest in air tight container.
● use mister/hands to sprinkle water to smoothen the surface finally.

I let it dry for minimum 8 hours. smoothened the base with sandpaper. Like I mentioned in my previous post,  it doesn't take up acrylic colors well & the cake is too small to use inks.  So I went with Uniball signo pens (silver, Gold) & Pilot black pen. The roses & leaves were jus pressed directly on to the ink pad (memento rosebud, DI mowed lawn). I've used Say it with crystals pearls & a scrap twine to complete the  cake decor.

Making The Box

Here's the basic layout & measurements I've used to make the box & the lid out of the cardboard.
(straight lines are creases,  dotted lines are cuts )
I've used both glue & stapler to secure the ends in the lid portion.

image


Inside of the box


I cut out four 2"×2" papers & inked with Bravo! pigment ink pad. I just love the way  these have turned out with all the amazing patterns :) (purple is not much visible in he pic though) I've used Uniball Signo white gel pen to add the galactic elements.

image



For the base, I've used a PP I created by directly applying ink from the pads same as here

I've also cut a square cardboard piece slightly smaller than the base & covered with silver paper.. applied some blue glitter to it & inked the edges (it won't take up ink unless the glitter glue is applied)

image

I then stuck the cake stand firmly with many foam squares to ensure stability.

I've also added some crystal stickers to represent fallen moon & scattered stars...

Inside of the lid:

I've used the same paper like that of the base & written "party in the SPACE" with glitter glues & white gel pen.

Box exterior

The surprise part is done.Now to conceal it, I kept the outside of the box totally simple.  i just used Distress inks (gathered twigs) on the raw cardboard surface.  This gave the box a whithered old look which was exactly what I wanted.

For the prize badge, I drew two concentric circles like this to draw it perfectly. 

image

I've also fussy cut the banners without any specific measurements & DI them too. . Stamped the sentiment with memento tuxedo black ink.

Finally I stuck the bow, which I made from brown paper rope, with double sided thin adhesive tape.

the Box closes perfectly & doesn't give away any clue about all the brightness & surprise it holds inside :)

I had sooo much fun creating this one. It's a birthday gift for my best friend.
Hope you enjoyed this.
Do lemme kno ur comments.  They mean a lot & thanks for your time.  :)
Create. Have fun.

Linking this to,

out of the box challenge, I guess this project is so apt for the title :)

http://blog.imaginationsonline.com/2014/11/challenge-5-out-of-box.html?m=1

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This is the first time I am visiting here and I loved it... Lots of details,too much of work and well explained. Doesnt look like your first attempt though.
    Thank you for joining us at the Imaginations Online Challenge with this lovely creation.

    Hugs
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your sweet comments Catherine :) am glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete